The Academic Learning Centre subject supports
The Academic Learning Centre offers a both in-person (face to face) and online supports (zoom). Please look at the drop-down menus below to find more details on subjects and to book in. If you have any questions, or require further information about these supports please do not hesitate to email us on: firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to welcoming you to the ALC in person or online.
Need to know more? You can book an informal chat with an ALC staff member
If you have any questions or you would like any information, please don't hesitate to contact us on email@example.com. If you'd like to come in to the ALC and have a chat with us about where to get started with the ALC you can book an appointment here.
Are you concerned about an Accounting module you are doing?
In Person Supports
Our in person Accounting supports are 1-to-1 appointments. The appointments are in D259.
If you'd prefer to get support together with some of your friends you can book in and just add their email addresses to the comment on the booking.
If you'd like to ask us anything about this support don't hesitate to email us on: AcademicLearningCentre@mtu.ie .
Each appointment is about 30 minutes long.
Websites for Accounting at all levels:
- The Institute of Chartered Accountants in Ireland
- The Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- The Association of Chartered Certified Accountants
- The Chartered Institute of Management Accountants
- Accounting Technicians Ireland
Financial Accounting Resources; Ebooks
- Frank Wood & Alan Sangster 2005, Business Accounting 1, Tenth Ed., 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,13,14,15,16,17,19,24,25,26,27,28 and 29, Pearson Education Limited London [ISBN: ISBN: 0-273-68149-4]
- ACCT6014 Accounting & Cost Accounting
- J R Dyson 2001, Accounting for Non-Accounting Students, 5th Ed., Prentice Hall [ISBN: 0273646834]
Advanced Financial Accounting Resources
- Alan Melville, International Financial Reporting A Practical Guide, Ebook
- IASB website: website http://www.iasb.org
Computer Aided Design (CAD)
We are working on organising support in Computer Aided Design, watch this space.
If you've any questions email AcademicLearningCentre@mtu.ie.
Concerned about a Chemistry module? Feeling behind because you didn't do Leaving Cert Chemistry? Daniela Lopez Henao is providing in-person chemistry support.
The appointments take place in room D259
If you have any questions about this support email us on AcademicLearningCentre@mtu.ie
Are you concerned about an Economics module you're doing?
In person Economics support for both Micro and Macro Economics
Mondays and Thursday 12 - 1 in room D259.
If you have any questions about the support or how to book, please email us on AcademicLearningCentre@mtu.ie.
Meanwhile, our lecturers have provided the following advice to help you with your study:
Before searching for more resources online make sure to check what your lecturer has posted or recommended on Canvas.
If you would still like some more information have a look at the library's subject guide for economics . This displays books, e-resources, exam papers and additional support for economics and would be very useful for you.
Other good online resources include
Maths & Stats
Are you concerned about a Maths or Statistics module you are working on?
We are offering a blend of in-person and online supports. Please note, if you have booked in previous years the bookin system has changed slightly. We are no longer using the Maths online module for bookings.
In person Maths appointments.: Book your time here. There can be up to 6 students booked in to an hour. The tutor will move around the room and help each person individually. This is ideal for e.g. working through a worksheet or past exam paper and being able to ask for help if you get stuck.
- 1-to-1 In-person Maths appointments: Book your 20 minute 1-to-1 appointment here. This is ideal if you have a particular topic or question that you'd like help on. It's also ideal if you are attending your first Maths support session.
- Online 1-to-1 appointments: Book your 30 minute online 1-to-1 appointment here. If the online appointment times don't work for you please email us on AcademiclearningCentre@mtu.ie to request a different time.
NMCI Maths Support
There is Maths support on campus in NMCI on Tuesdays from 1- 2 in room 0.28. There is no need to book, just pop in.
If you have any other question about our Maths and Stats supports email us at AcademicLearningCentre@mtu.ie
We also have a great online Maths resource to help you outside of ALC times. Find out how to add 'Maths Online' to your Canvas dashboard by clicking here. It's full of helpful Maths and Stats resources, notes, quizzes and videos to help you throughout the whole year.
Mechanics / Thermofluids
Are you concerned about a Mechanics or Thermofluids module you are working on?
David Hodge will be meeting students both online and in person this semester. In-person support will also be available on the National Maritime College of Ireland (NMCI) campus:
Bishopstown campus, in-person: Tuesdays 16:30 - 18:00 in room C214, no appointment necessary, just pop in!
NMCI: Tuesdays 18:30 - 20:00 in room 1.28 , no appointment necessary, just pop in!
Online: book here
If you'd like to know more about this support please feel free to email David at David.Hodge@mtu.ie or AcademicLearningCentre@mtu.ie
Networking, Systems, Routing and Switching
Would you like to ask some extra questions about a module related to Routing and Switching, Networking or systems?
Book a 1-to-1 online appointment.
We are still finalising the timetable for this semester. Watch this space!
If you have any queries please email us on AcademicLearning@mtu.ie
National Maritime College of Ireland (NMCI)
You can avail of in-person supports on the NMCI Ringaskiddy campus for Maths, Mechanics and Thermofluids.
Maths: Tuesday from 1 to 2 in room 0.28. Just drop in; no appointment necessary
Mechanics & Thermofluids: Tuesdays 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm. in room 1.28 Just dop in; no appointment necessary.
Online support available also, please select the subject you would like and find further details.
If you have any questions just email David at David.Hodge@mtu.ie or AcademicLearningCentre@mtu.ie.
Are you concerned about a Physics module you are working on? Do you feel a bit lost because you didn't do Leaving Cert Physics?
1 -to - 1 Online appointments: Tuesdays and Thursdays from 7 - 9 pm.
If you've any questions just contact us on AcademicLearningCentre@mtu.ie and we'll get you sorted.
Would you like some help with a programming module? Finding databases challenging? There are two ways to access support this semester. You can call in to in person support in D259 on Monday mornings between 9 and 11 am or you can have an online meeting.
In persons support
Our programming tutor will be in person in D259 every Friday from 11 - 12 and 12 - 1 pm.
1 - to - 1 online support
Book a 1- to- 1 online appointment here.
If you have any questions, just email us: AcademicLearningCentre@mtu.ie.
In addition our lecturers have recommended the following resources to get you started with your study:
Recommended Extra Resources
Writing and Assignment Skills
This semester, we're offering 1-1 support with any aspect of writing and assessment preparation that you would like to discuss.
This support is in person in D259 on:
Mondays 2 - 3 pm
Wednesdays 10 - 11 am
Some of the stages of the writing process that you may like to speak to us about include, but are not limited to:
· Task/brief analysis;
· Research, referencing and referencing tools;
· Integration of evidence through paraphrase or summary;
· Text structure;
· Coherence, text progression and flow;
· Strong introductions and conclusions;
· Conventions of writing in your field or discipline
In the meantime, have a look at these resources to get you started on different aspects of developing your academic writing skills:
- A link to an online guide on preparing for online open book assessments: https://www.trentu.ca/academicskills/how-guides/how-study/prepare-and-write-exams/preparing-online-open-book-exam
- A short pdf introduction to paraphrasing: https://library.soton.ac.uk/ld.php?content_id=31722326
- Grammar and vocabulary resource: explanations, examples and links to practice exercises on general aspects of English grammar and punctuation: https://englishstudypage.com/
- Useful terms and sentence structures for academic writing: http://www.phrasebank.manchester.ac.uk/
- A video guide (under 5 mins) on academic report writing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hNC_me9aVM
- A guide to critical thinking: https://library.soton.ac.uk/sash/critical-thinking
Coaching at ALC
Our Coaches are available to discuss your approach to your studies with you. To speak to a coach on a one-to-one basis, you are welcome to make a booking through our website.
For your information, our sessions with students often involve:
- Self-awareness - facilitating conversations so you can identify your goals, motivation, strengths and purpose
- Time-management techniques - how to balance study with other responsibilities such as work, sporting commitments etc.
- Study strategies and skills - how to study effectively and take useful notes
- Exploring organisational skills
- General moral support and reassurance
- Identifying and linking you to other useful resources and/or supports
BOOK A SESSION
You can book an in-person, phone or online coaching session through the booking page on our website.
If you have any issues accessing these links or cannot find a time that suits please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Computing for Business
Are you a business student who has concerns about Python, Excel of VBA? We are offering in person supports for these topics.
Tuesdays: 11 - 12 in B231
Thursdays: 1 - 2pm in B231
Presentation Skills Support
Would you like help to work effectively as a team with your groupwork classmates? Work together with an academic success coach to help your team gel and work well together. Please try to find a time that works well for all the members of your group.