The Transitions at MTU Fund (formerly Transitions to CIT) is one of three funding streams available from AnSEO - The Student Engagement Office which can be accessed each year through the Teaching & Learning Unit (TLU) and AnSEO's Combined Funding Call.
Information Session: transitions at mtu Fund
Date: 13th September 2022
Get inspiration from colleagues on how a little 'Transitions at MTU' seed funding can have a huge impact on student engagement and learning'
The Transitions at MTU fund has been available in MTU Cork since 2013/14 and in that time we have funded in excess of 200 projects that focus on enhancing transitions to MTU Cork for all students.
The following provides examples of previous Transitions to CIT Projects showcased at the European First Year Experience Conference, held in Cork, from 17-19 June 2019:
What are the objectives of the fund?
While most projects address particular concerns of individual departments with regard to enhancing the new first year transition, projects with a focus on other key student transition points are welcomed. These might include students transitioning:
- Into second, third or final year of their studies
- From undergraduate to postgraduate study
- From full time study to periods of work placement
- From periods of work placement back to full time study
- From employment into full-time or part-time study.
Who should apply?
Any individual staff member or team (academic, technical, administrative) who would like to develop an idea or project related to the transitions experienced during the student life cycle.
What types of project are suitable?
Some examples of types of suitable projects include;
- Development of School/department specific Student Guides to Success: webpages, hardcopy, usb keys etc.
- Staff / student relationship building events.
- Social induction/ icebreaking activities/ meet and greet events with first year academic staff and later year students.
- Academic Induction seminars.
- Role model seminars.
- A Faculty/ school based social media welcome campaign.
- First year notice boards and first year team profiles.
- Competitions and prizes.
- Collaborative events with Good Start team.
Where can I get ideas and inspiration?
Looking for ideas? Please review the following sites:
- AnSEO's showcase of previous Transition to CIT projects
- Advance HE projects, resources and ways you can connect with student retention and success in higher education
- Other higher education institutes:
- Prof Margaret Price – Developing Assessment literacy in students (Conversations on Teaching and Learning Summer Programme 2017)
Is there anyone I can talk to about applying for this funding?
If you have any queries or would like to discuss a potential application prior to submitting, then you can contact:
- Róisín O'Grady, Student Engagement Officer, email@example.com