The Academic Learning Centre supports will offer a blend of online or in person supports this semester. Have a look at the drop down menus below to find more details on the subjects relevant to you and to find the booking links. You can also register to get the latest information about what's on or email us at AcademicLearningCentre@mtu.ie
Maths & Stats
Are you concerned about a Maths or Statistics module you are working on?
We are offering a blend of in person and online supports from 19th September:
- Supported Maths Study: Mondays 3:30 - 5.30 pm. B231. Book your seat through the Maths online module on canvas or just pop in.
- In person Maths appointments: To book an in person Maths appointment you need to go through the 'Maths online' module on canvas.
- Online 1-to-1 appointments: online and/or inperson appointments can be booked through the Maths online module* on canvas.
If you have any other question about our Maths and Stats supports email us at AcademicLearningCentre@mtu.ie
*Find out how to add 'Maths Online' to your Canvas dashboard by clicking here. It's full of helpful Maths and Stats resources, notes, quizzes and videos to help you throughout the whole year.
Are you concerned about a Physics module you are working on? Do you feel a bit lost because you didn't do Leaving Cert Physics?
1 -to - 1 Online appointments: Tuesdays and Thursdays from 7 - 9 pm.
If you've any questions just contact us on AcademicLearningCentre@mtu.ie and we'll get you sorted.
Are you concerned about a Mechanics or Thermofluids module you are working on?
David Hodge will be meeting students both online and in person this semester. In person support will also be available in the NMCI campus:
- Online: Book your appointment here.
- Bishopstown In-person: Tuesdays 4 - 6 pm in B269. No appointment necessary, just pop in.
- NMCI In-person: Tuesdays 18:30 - 20:30
If you'd like to know more about this support please feel free to email David at David.Hodge@mtu.ie or AcademicLearningCentre@mtu.ie
Are you concerned about an Accounting module you are doing?
Our in person Accounting supports are 1-to-1 appointments in D259. We are still finalising the timetable for semester 2. Please check back again in a few days.
If you'd prefer to get support together with some of your friends you can book in and just add their email addresses to the comment on the booking.
If you'd like to ask us anything about this support don't hesitate to email us on: AcademicLearningCentre@mtu.ie .
Each appointment is about 30 minutes long.
As well as offering live online support our lecturers have recommended the following resources which might be helpful.
Websites for Accounting at all levels:
- The Institute of Chartered Accountants in Ireland
- The Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- The Association of Chartered Certified Accountants
- The Chartered Institute of Management Accountants
- Accounting Technicians Ireland
Financial Accounting Resources; Ebooks
- Frank Wood & Alan Sangster 2005, Business Accounting 1, Tenth Ed., 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,13,14,15,16,17,19,24,25,26,27,28 and 29, Pearson Education Limited London [ISBN: ISBN: 0-273-68149-4]
- ACCT6014 Accounting & Cost Accounting
- J R Dyson 2001, Accounting for Non-Accounting Students, 5th Ed., Prentice Hall [ISBN: 0273646834]
Advanced Financial Accounting Resources
- Alan Melville, International Financial Reporting A Practical Guide, Ebook
- IASB website: website http://www.iasb.org
Are you concerned about an Economics module you doing?
Book a 1-to-1 in person appointments on Wednesdays or Thursdays from 12 -1.
If you have any questions about the support or how to book please email us on AcademicLearningCentre@mtu.ie.
Meanwhile our lecturers have provided the following advice to help you with your study:
Before searching for more resources online make sure to check what your lecturer has posted or recommended on Canvas.
If you would still like some more information have a look at the library's subject guide for economics . This displays books, e-resources, exam papers and additional support for economics and would be very useful for you.
Other good online resources include
- Tutor2u: https://www.tutor2u.net/economics
- Economics Network : https://www.economicsnetwork.ac.uk
- The CSO and ESRI websites are useful
Would you like some help with a programming module? Finding databases challenging.?
This semester we are offering two types of programming support:
In person drop in
Pop in to B231 on Mondays between 1 and 3 pm. There is no need to make an appointment.
Book a 1-to-1 online appointment with an experienced ALC tutor and Phd student.
If you have any questions why not email us: AcademicLearningCentre@mtu.ie .
In addition our lecturers have recommended the following resources to get you started with your study:
Recommended Extra Resources
Academic Success Coaching
Our Academic Success Coaches will be available throughout the Summer Programme to discuss assignment and exam preparation with you. To speak to a coach on a one-to-one basis, you are welcome to make a booking through our website.
For your information, our sessions with students often involve:
- Self-awareness - facilitating conversations so you can identify your goals, motivation, strengths and purpose
- Time-management techniques - how to balance study with other responsibilities such as work, sporting commitments etc.
- Study strategies and skills - how to study effectively and take useful notes
- Exploring organisational skills
- General moral support and reassurance
- Identifying and linking you to other useful CIT resources and/or supports
BOOK A SESSION
How do I make an appointment?
You can book an in-person, phone or online coaching session through the booking page on our website.
If you have any issues accessing these links or cannot find a time that suits please email email@example.com.
You can avail of in person supports in NMCI campus for Maths and Mechanics.
Maths: Wednesdays 6 - 7 pm in room 0.34. Just pop in, no appointment necessary
Mechanics: Tuesdays 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm. Just pop in, no appointment necessary,
If you have any questions just email us on AcademicLearningCentre@mtu.ie
Writing and Assignment Skills
This semester, we're offering 1-1 support with any aspect of writing and assessment preparation that you would like to discuss. If you'd like to attend, you're welcome to book a meeting.
Some of the stages of the writing process that you may like to speak to us about include, but are not limited to:
· Task/brief analysis;
· Research, referencing and referencing tools;
· Integration of evidence through paraphrase or summary;
· Text structure;
· Coherence, text progression and flow;
· Strong introductions and conclusions;
· Conventions of writing in your field or discipline
In the meantime, have a look at these resources to get you started on different aspects of developing your academic writing skills:
- A link to an online guide on preparing for online open book assessments: https://www.trentu.ca/academicskills/how-guides/how-study/prepare-and-write-exams/preparing-online-open-book-exam
- A short pdf introduction to paraphrasing: https://library.soton.ac.uk/ld.php?content_id=31722326
- Grammar and vocabulary resource: explanations, examples and links to practice exercises on general aspects of English grammar and punctuation: https://englishstudypage.com/
- Useful terms and sentence structures for academic writing: http://www.phrasebank.manchester.ac.uk/
- A video guide (under 5 mins) on academic report writing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hNC_me9aVM
- A guide to critical thinking: https://library.soton.ac.uk/sash/critical-thinking
Concerned about a Chemistry module? Feeling behind because you didn't do Leaving Cert Chemistry? Daniela Lopez Henao is providing in-person chemistry support. This supports are 1-to-1 and usually about 30 minutes long.
The appointments take place in room D259A.
If you have any questions about this support email us on AcademicLearningCentre@mtu.ie
IT Skills and Learning Systems
Are you concerned that you are missing key IT skills to engage with online learning? Why not have a chat to us and see if we can get you on the right path.
- Familiarise yourself with Canvas
- Basic IT Skills
- Platforms used for remote learning
- Microsoft word, excel and powerpoint
1-to-1 online appointments: Book here
Networking, Systems, Routing and Switching
Would you like to ask some extra questions about a module related to Routing and Switching, Networking or systems?
Book a 1-to-1 online appointment.
Are you a business or IS student who would like some help with Python, MS-Access or UML? Holger Huber is available for 1-to-1 appointments to help you out.
Time: Thursdays 11- 12