The Academic Learning Centre offers a both in-person (face to face) and online supports (zoom). Please look at the drop-down menus below to find more details on subjects and to book in. If you have any question or query or require further information about these supports please do not hesitate to email us on: firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to welcoming you to the ALC in person or online.
Are you concerned about an Accounting module you are doing?
Our in person Accounting supports are 1-to-1 appointments in D259.
If you'd prefer to get support together with some of your friends you can book in and just add their email addresses to the comment on the booking.
If you'd like to ask us anything about this support don't hesitate to email us on: AcademicLearningCentre@mtu.ie .
Each appointment is about 30 minutes long.
One-to-one online appointments in Accounting are now open for bookings.
As well as offering live online support our lecturers have recommended the following resources which might be helpful.
Websites for Accounting at all levels:
- The Institute of Chartered Accountants in Ireland
- The Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- The Association of Chartered Certified Accountants
- The Chartered Institute of Management Accountants
- Accounting Technicians Ireland
Financial Accounting Resources; Ebooks
- Frank Wood & Alan Sangster 2005, Business Accounting 1, Tenth Ed., 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,13,14,15,16,17,19,24,25,26,27,28 and 29, Pearson Education Limited London [ISBN: ISBN: 0-273-68149-4]
- ACCT6014 Accounting & Cost Accounting
- J R Dyson 2001, Accounting for Non-Accounting Students, 5th Ed., Prentice Hall [ISBN: 0273646834]
Advanced Financial Accounting Resources
- Alan Melville, International Financial Reporting A Practical Guide, Ebook
- IASB website: website http://www.iasb.org
Computer Aided Design (CAD)
Paddy McGowan is offering support in AutoCAD, Inventor and Fusion 360 each Thursday from 3.00-4.00pm in room B282. Students attending are asked to bring their own laptops with the latest version of the relevant software installed.
To book your place, please email AcademicLearningCentre@mtu.ie.
Concerned about a Chemistry module? Feeling behind because you didn't do Leaving Cert Chemistry? Daniela Lopez Henao is providing in-person chemistry support. This supports are 1-to-1 and usually about 30 minutes long.
The appointments take place in room D259A.
If you have any questions about this support email us on AcademicLearningCentre@mtu.ie
Easter Programme 3rd - 14th April 2023
The Easter Programme 2023 will run from Monday 3rd of April to Friday 14th April. AnSEO - the Student Engagment Office is running a programme of supports to help you succeed in upcoming exams and assessments. The Easter programme will be both online and in person.
If you have any questions or you would like any information please don't hesitate to contact us on email@example.com
Click here for full Easter Programme Schedule
Are you concerned about an Economics module you're doing?
Book a 1-to-1 in-person appointment on Wednesdays or Thursdays between 12.00 and 1.00pm.
If you have any questions about the support or how to book, please email us on AcademicLearningCentre@mtu.ie.
Meanwhile, our lecturers have provided the following advice to help you with your study:
Before searching for more resources online make sure to check what your lecturer has posted or recommended on Canvas.
If you would still like some more information have a look at the library's subject guide for economics . This displays books, e-resources, exam papers and additional support for economics and would be very useful for you.
Other good online resources include
- Tutor2u: https://www.tutor2u.net/economics
- Economics Network : https://www.economicsnetwork.ac.uk
- The CSO and ESRI websites are useful
Maths & Stats
Are you concerned about a Maths or Statistics module you are working on?
We are offering a blend of in-person and online supports:
- Supported Maths Study Every Week: No need to book, just come along.
- Mondays 9.30am - 12.30pm in D259.
- Mondays 3.30pm - 5.30pm in B231.
- Tuesdays, 1.00pm - 2.00pm in room D259.
- Wednesdays, 2.00pm - 3.00pm in room D259.
- Thursdays 9.30am - 12.30pm in D259.
- Fridays 11.30am - 1.30pm in D259.
- In-person Maths appointments: To book an in-person Maths appointment, you need to go through the 'Maths Online' module on Canvas.
- Online 1-to-1 appointments: online and/or in-person appointments can be booked through the Maths Online module* on Canvas.
If you have any other question about our Maths and Stats supports email us at AcademicLearningCentre@mtu.ie
*Find out how to add 'Maths Online' to your Canvas dashboard by clicking here. It's full of helpful Maths and Stats resources, notes, quizzes and videos to help you throughout the whole year.
Mechanics / Thermofluids
Are you concerned about a Mechanics or Thermofluids module you are working on?
David Hodge will be meeting students both online and in person this semester. In-person support will also be available on the National Maritime College of Ireland (NMCI) campus:
- Online: Book your appointment here.
- Bishopstown in-person: Tuesdays 4pm - 6 pm in B269. No appointment necessary, just pop in.
- NMCI in-person: Tuesdays 6.30pm - 8:30pm
If you'd like to know more about this support please feel free to email David at David.Hodge@mtu.ie or AcademicLearningCentre@mtu.ie
Networking, Systems, Routing and Switching
Would you like to ask some extra questions about a module related to Routing and Switching, Networking or systems?
Book a 1-to-1 online appointment.
National Maritime College of Ireland (NMCI)
You can avail of in-person supports on the NMCI Ringaskiddy campus for Maths, Mechanics and Thermofluids.
Maths: Wednesdays 6 - 7 pm in room 0.34. Just drop in; no appointment necessary
Mechanics & Thermofluids: Tuesdays 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm. Just dop in; no appointment necessary.
Online support available also, please select the subject you would like and find further details.
If you have any questions just email David at David.Hodge@mtu.ie or AcademicLearningCentre@mtu.ie.
Are you concerned about a Physics module you are working on? Do you feel a bit lost because you didn't do Leaving Cert Physics?
1 -to - 1 Online appointments: Tuesdays and Thursdays from 7 - 9 pm.
If you've any questions just contact us on AcademicLearningCentre@mtu.ie and we'll get you sorted.
Would you like some help with a programming module? Finding databases challenging?
This semester we are offering two types of programming support:
In-person drop-in SuPPORT
In-person supports in Programming are available this semester. All sessions take place in room B231.
Book your place at in-person Programming Support
OR just come along and join the session without an appointment.
Sessions take place at the following times:
Tuesday, 11.00am to 2.00pm, room B231
Wednesday, 10.00am to 1.00pm, room B231
Wednesday, 2.00pm to 4.00pm, room B231
Book a 1-to-1 online appointment with an experienced ALC tutor and PhD student.
If you have any questions, just email us: AcademicLearningCentre@mtu.ie.
In addition our lecturers have recommended the following resources to get you started with your study:
Recommended Extra Resources
Writing and Assignment Skills
This semester, we're offering 1-1 support with any aspect of writing and assessment preparation that you would like to discuss. If you'd like to attend, you're welcome to book a meeting.
Some of the stages of the writing process that you may like to speak to us about include, but are not limited to:
· Task/brief analysis;
· Research, referencing and referencing tools;
· Integration of evidence through paraphrase or summary;
· Text structure;
· Coherence, text progression and flow;
· Strong introductions and conclusions;
· Conventions of writing in your field or discipline
In the meantime, have a look at these resources to get you started on different aspects of developing your academic writing skills:
- A link to an online guide on preparing for online open book assessments: https://www.trentu.ca/academicskills/how-guides/how-study/prepare-and-write-exams/preparing-online-open-book-exam
- A short pdf introduction to paraphrasing: https://library.soton.ac.uk/ld.php?content_id=31722326
- Grammar and vocabulary resource: explanations, examples and links to practice exercises on general aspects of English grammar and punctuation: https://englishstudypage.com/
- Useful terms and sentence structures for academic writing: http://www.phrasebank.manchester.ac.uk/
- A video guide (under 5 mins) on academic report writing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hNC_me9aVM
- A guide to critical thinking: https://library.soton.ac.uk/sash/critical-thinking
Academic Success Coaching
Our Academic Success Coaches are available to discuss your approach to your studies with you. To speak to a coach on a one-to-one basis, you are welcome to make a booking through our website.
For your information, our sessions with students often involve:
- Self-awareness - facilitating conversations so you can identify your goals, motivation, strengths and purpose
- Time-management techniques - how to balance study with other responsibilities such as work, sporting commitments etc.
- Study strategies and skills - how to study effectively and take useful notes
- Exploring organisational skills
- General moral support and reassurance
- Identifying and linking you to other useful resources and/or supports
BOOK A SESSION
You can book an in-person, phone or online coaching session through the booking page on our website.
If you have any issues accessing these links or cannot find a time that suits please email firstname.lastname@example.org.