Nutrition & Health Sciences, Dept. of Biological Sciences:
- Created information booklets which were distributed to all students in Week 1. "I found them extremely helpful. They answered a lot of questions that I’d be too embarrassed to ask or being a first year didn’t know who to ask" - 1st year student.
- Hosted a coffee reception at the end of the first week as a welcome to all students and an opportunity to get to know staff.
- Created a First Year notice board with specific information on the department and staff contact details.
Crawford College of Art & Design:
- Created an online Student Handbook with information on the department, semesters and modules and progression routes.
Hospitality Management, Dept. of Tourism & Hospitality:
- Team building trip to an activity camp to encourage bonding, belonging and communication in the first year group.
"Really enjoyed participating in all of the activities with the students. We each joined a different team and the competitiveness was very obvious from the get go. Interestingly we have noticed that students who attended and participated on the day have continued to challenge and engage with the programme" - Staff member.
Dept. of Sports, Leisure & Early Childhood Studies:
A Healthy CIT is a new, multi-campus health promotion initiative that aims to maximise the wellbeing of the entire CIT population; both students and staff alike. A key element which falls under the remit of this initiative is to provide incoming first year students with the knowledge, skills and opportunities to develop healthy lifestyle behaviours to maximise their college experience from the outset.
Elements of the programme included:
- A Healthy CIT/Good Start Healthy Cooking Demonstration (in conjunction with the Dept. of Tourism & Hospitality).
- ‘Just Ask About A Healthy CIT’ health information desks on campus.
- Collaborative Good Start/A Healthy CIT social media and health blog campaign with a series of health-related blog posts
- A Healthy CIT Official Campus Launch Event with Guest Speaker Aoife Hearne RD (resident dietician on RTE’s Operation Transformation).
- A Healthy CIT Drop-in Health Check Stations.